Friday, March 20, 2009

I Married One of the Good Guys!


I remember when I first met my husband. I was relieved to find out that he was employed! Then I found out he was a lawyer. Of course, I had heard all the lawyer jokes and because I considered him extremely good looking, I figured he was a smarmy ambulance chaser! Boy was I relieved when he told me he was an assistant State Attorney. I perked up. He was one of the good guys. One of the knights in shining armor defending the victims from wrong doing. I could get my brain around that kind of work. When we were dating, I remember asking him how attorneys can defend people that they think are guilty of committing crimes. He explained to me that everyone is entitled to representation. That representation does not involve judgment. That is the judge and jury's job. He also reminded me of the terrible injustice that can occur when someone is not represented. Basically, an attorney's job is not to "get someone off" of a crime that they committed but to make sure they have been fairly and equally represented. After years of prosecuting, we made the decision that John should become self employed. Because his years of experience were in prosecuting criminal charges, it made sense that he would use those skills and become a self employed defense attorney.
Years later we both became Christians. I have had people ask me how a Christian could defend the guilty. I explain it to them the way John explained it to me. I also tell them that it would be very difficult for a lawyer to switch his specialty. Just like we would not expect a neurosurgeon to become a pediatrician. This seems to satisfy them but I sometimes wonder if they judge him based on his profession. I don't because I know his heart. I have always believed that he carries a heavy burden. He is daily confronted with the lost, desperate, and nonrepentent and in most situations he is not able to share his faith.
Today he came home with a story that confirmed what I already knew. John cares about people. He is the attorney for our local drug court. This is a system that attempts to avoid
just locking up offenders but provides them with the support to change their lives. It is a strict program and criteria must be met to participate. Today they celebrated "graduation". John told me that there was a women who almost gave up. She had to choose between an abusive boyfriend and drugs or the program. Sadly, she was drawn to the boyfriend and drugs. He had an opportunity to talk to her prior to her making her decision. She specifically said during her graduation speech that that conversation was a turning point for her. John had laid it out for her. He used logic and respect to communicate to her that she had a choice to make. He couldn't make it for her but he cared enough to take the time to speak to her like she was a human with potential and not a "user". His eyes misted up as he retold me the story. He cares. He is one of the good guys no matter what "side" he is on. It was a reminder to me that I am glad that God uses us were we are. I Peter 4:10 says "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. " I pray that God will continue to use John in his workplace. I also pray that he will have the opportunity and freedom to share his faith. If just a few moments of our time, can change a person's perspective on their life, can you imagine what the Gospel can do! I can.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Way to go John! One thing I've learned is to never under estimate what a small act of kindness can do for another. We have no idea the hidden pain that people are going through. Showing compassion and treating others with dignity can go a long way-especially when they are used to being treated in a different way. I will write more later when I stop crying....:)

P.S. I married "one of the good ones", too...isnt't is attractive??

Kris said...

I never had any doubt that he was "one of the good guys." It's amazing what our life testimony can do to other people. Many people would never expect an attorney to actually care. I'm glad John can be a beacon in the darkness to hurting people. Praise God!