Monday, April 27, 2009

The Things kids say!

One of the interesting things about adding a child to your family that is not an infant is the dialogue that takes between them. Today as we were preparing for dinner, Austin said, "I want water". Having been here for several visits he quickly corrected himself and said, "May I have water?" Caleb was standing near by during this interaction. He added, "Actually, it is may I PLEASE have water? That's O.K. you're new at this!" This caught me as very funny! Caleb the guy that I have been working with for three years to chew with his mouth closed has now become the "Master of Manners"! The other funny aspect was Austin IS completely new at this! I think he actually enjoys the manners. He likes to look exasperated but I find it curious that he quickly corrects himself and seems quite pleased that he is becoming such a gentlemen! It must be overwhelming to be in a new environment. I remember when Liz and Caleb moved in. We were off kilter for awhile. There are so many nuisances to your home environment that we take for granted. What is considered humor? What is considered rude? What is appropriate sarcasm? What is disrespectful? The list goes on and on. All the little things that we take for granted that create the atmosphere in our home. I'm trying to balance my "rules" with humor and a big dose of grace. I know that I could use some. Chew with your mouths closed, people!

No comments: